Indoor Volleyball Rules
- Indoor 4’s:
- 2 men and 2 women on the court at all times (3 males and 1 females is allowed).
- There may not be more than 3 males on the court at one time. If a team has 2 players with a minimum of 1 woman it will be considered a legal game.
- Indoor 6’s:
- 3 men and 3 women on the court at all times (4 males and 2 females is allowed).
- There may not be more than 4 males on the court at one time. If a team has 4 players with a minimum of 1 woman it will be considered a legal game. Any other combination or number with min. 1 female that follows the rules above may be allowed, if opposing team captain agrees.
- Each match will consist of three games. Each game will count in the overall standings for regular season standings. First 2 games are played to 21 (cap 25). 3rd game is to 15 (cap 18). One time-out per game is allowed.
- The server may not step on or over the end line until the ball has been contacted. The width of the service area is from sideline to sideline. The depth of the service area is infinite.
- There are no male/female hitting rules.
- A defensive block does not count as one of the allowable contacts. A player may reach over the net to block a ball:
- If any portion of the ball breaks the plane of the net
- After the offense has come in contact with the ball on the third attempt
- The serve may not be blocked or spiked. Serves hitting the net will be legal.
- Players can return the serve by:
- Bump pass
- Clasping their hands together
- A closed fist
- A set
- Recent revisions to USA VB rules allow a player to return a serve with a two handed set. A set in this manner is extremely difficult and is not recommended for players not familiar with high level volleyball (i.e. club, NCAA etc.)
- No part of the body may touch the net at anytime unless a ball or person driven into the net causes the contact. Player contact with the net in a manner not directly relating to or affecting the course of play is not a violation. Contact with hair or part of the uniform will not be considered a fault.
- Contact of the ball when spiking is legal only if a portion of the ball is in contact with the plane of the net or on the spiker’s side of the net. Spikers may follow through over the net after a legal contact.
- The ball must be cleanly hit when spiking with an open hand. Guiding or carrying is illegal.
- A carry is any use of an open hand(s) while making contact with the ball that is not in a firm manner.
- Out of bounds is the area outside the line. The line is in bounds.
- A player may touch but not completely cross over the center line with his/her foot.
- The ball can contact any number of body parts down to, and including the foot, providing such contacts are simultaneous and that the ball rebounds immediately and cleanly after such contact.
- USA VOLLEYBALL rules apply unless stated otherwise.
- Oversets will be legal.
Please help them by calling your own “nets”, “lifts/carries”, and questionable calls – it’s good sportsmanship.
The idea of Sportsmonkey is to have fun. We hope that all participants keep that in mind when becoming involved. Although the games may become intense, you still can be competitive while maintaining good sportsmanship. With this said, any behavior deemed unacceptable by staff may result in suspension and/or ejection from
First Offense: Loss of game and warning issued.
Second Offense: Loss of game and staff reserves the right to remove team from playoffs.
Third Offense: Removal from the league
If you know in advance that your team is going to forfeit a game, we encourage you to email us at INFO@SPORTSMONKEY.COM to help us schedule your opponent a game.
Teams have until 10 minutes past the designated start time to field a full squad (at least minimum players required according to rules). If at that time one team is unable to field a full team, it will be up to the staff and the opposing captain to determine what is allowable.
All eligible teams make the playoffs (teams that have not abused the foul or forfeit policies are eligible).
In certain situations, teams at or near the bottom of the standings may not advance to the playoffs. Check with the Sportsmonkey League Coordinator to see if this applies to your league. Playoffs are single elimination.
Teams are seeded according to winning percentage and strength of schedule.
Teams may be dropped from their regular season level based on the above criteria. Teams may be moved to a higher division during the playoffs only if permission is granted.
Skill levels may be divided into separate divisions based upon size of level.
Teams may play more than one match per day, and/or play matches on days/nights other than your regularly scheduled league day/night. Sportsmonkey reserves the right to schedule playoff games on days other than your regularly scheduled league night.
Any questions regarding rules, policies, or eligibility must be addressed before the start of a game or the league.
Leagues may be cancelled due to existing weather conditions, dangerous or unplayable field conditions, facility constraints, etc.
Sportsmonkey Staff makes every effort to play all scheduled games, thus we will not cancel games until absolutely necessary. Therefore, if you are calling concerning a decision on a cancellation, remember we will not have an answer until close to the start of the league.
If the league is cancelled, Sportsmonkey Staff will change the rain-out voicemail immediately. Sportsmonkey will then e-mail all the captains.
If a league is cancelled on site, Sportsmonkey Staff will attempt to contact those teams still scheduled to play the remainder of the league day/night. Depending on the time of cancellation, some teams will have to be notified on site.
If we do cancel, follow next week’s schedule (ex. if April 13 is cancelled teams should follow the April 20 schedule for their next game).
The games that are cancelled will be made up at the end of the season if time allows.
In extreme circumstances, Sportsmonkey reserves the right to run a shortened season without a refund of schedule matches on days other than our regularly scheduled league day/night.